Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Gupta Experience Day 6 (July 8, 450CE)


On this edition of The Gupta Experience we hit the site of Meharauli, a land of fertile plain, and the Thar Desert. This land is dry, brown, hot, humid, and flat. This made the travels frustrating and uncomfortable because I must have sweat an ocean worth. This land is the last of our travels and I am feeling depressed that I must soon head home. The crew that I am with has looked forward to this day, because we now are looking at the metalwork of the Gupta.
My father being. a metalworker has told me details to look for in this work, and I am ecstatic about comparing modern day American metalwork, and the skill of the past. Government officials notified me the the past Gupta Kings had controlled the local mines of gold, copper, and tin with full power. I found it quite intriguing that the metalworkers created special coins in honor of kings wealth, and accomplishments. I wish that I had that kind of treatment by my crew. (don't tell them I said that) A common metalworker I met up with named Kijau spoke with me about his works, and how proud he is of the ancient cultures of his past. He informed me that the experts were best known for their iron work accomplishments, but of course theses workers were expert at my personal favorite work...GOLD! I also came upon after a day of hard work and traveling at sunset a once famous pillar known as Meharauli. I stood in place for a moment and thought about the past that I wish I knew, and the people that formed my world. As I stood I daydreamed about the past lives of the Gupta, and I could almost see time pass through my eyes. Coming soon to blog...the finale of The Gupta Experience.

No comments: